Aspiring leaders start here!
Find out which program or course is right for you by contacting our team here. You can also sign up for email updates. We’ll keep you posted on opportunities to step up as a leader.
What is the Signature Class?
Leadership Medina County's Signature Class is the place where leaders can connect with diverse networks, build understanding, and take action to drive positive social impact.
What will I gain from participating?
Participation in the Signature Class offers a unique opportunity to be part of a nine-month experience during which you will learn about yourself and about the many different communities that are part of Medina County. In addition, you will make lifetime friendships with individuals representing the diversity of the county.
At the end of the program year, many graduates say that their Leadership Medina County experience has been life- changing – professionally and personally.
- A broader and more profound understanding of complex community issues
- A deeper appreciation of how these community issues relate to one another in a greater system
- A heightened recognition of the potential of civic leaders to influence community issues
- An increased understanding of ways to be effective contributors within the community
- A deep understanding of the value of collaborating with diverse partners to accomplish complex goals
- A greatly expanded network of colleagues to serve as resources in their endeavors.
- A greater commitment to being involved in their communities in even more meaningful ways
Who Should Apply?
Signature participants are established community and business leaders who are looking to broaden their impact in Medina County. Ideal candidates for the Signature Class:
- Have a proven record of service and commitment in their professions and community
- Must be a resident of or work chiefly in Medina County
What if I applied previously and was not selected?
Those who have previously applied to the Signature Class are strongly encouraged to reapply. Many Signature Class alumni were selected to participate after more than one application. Experienced civic and community leaders recognize that a long-term perspective and perseverance are fundamental to success. Because this curriculum can only be successful when the class composition reflects the diversity of Medina County, the Selection Committee selects individuals for each class to reflect Medina County’s geographic and professional diversity. Therefore, the Selection Committee reviews the class composition as a whole when selecting candidates.
The selection committee will be looking for the following in your application:
- A demonstrated personal commitment to community service and to solving community problems. Leadership may be demonstrated through a variety of initiatives including traditional and non-traditional activities.
- Demonstrate a strong interest in and the potential for creating positive change and being a strong leader for the common good of the entire community.
- High standards of personal quality and integrity.
Who reviews the applications?
A diverse Selection Committee of alumni ensures that participants in the Signature Class represent the diversity of the greater Medina County community.
What is the time commitment?
- Two-day, overnight opening retreat in September
- Nine full-day sessions once a month (September – May)
- Closing retreat and graduation in May
- Participation in a class project
I am not sure I can attend all of the class days -- can I still participate?
In order to accomplish the program’s stated objectives, attendance and full participation of each individual selected is necessary. Participants must be able to commit to the full class schedule below and class project. However, we realize that “life happens” sometimes. Therefore, we do allow for one excused absence per class year. More than one absence could disqualify a program participant from graduating from the program. Orientation/Opening Retreat and Graduation are mandatory.
What is the tuition fee?
Leadership Medina County is funded by tuition and contributions. Tuition is $2,200.00, which covers all program costs, including meals, facilities, materials and lodging for the overnight retreat. If selected to participate in Leadership Medina County, you (or your sponsoring organization) agree to pay the tuition fee of $2,200.00, which is non-refundable.
Is tuition assistance available?
Yes, tuition assistance is available. Limited resources preclude us from awarding full tuition assistance. However, partial tuition assistance based on financial need is available. Awarded tuition assistance falls in the range of twenty to sixty percent of total tuition. Tuition assistance requests must be submitted by the application deadline.
When will I find out if I have been awarded tuition assistance?
When you are notified that you have been selected to participate in the Signature Class, you also will be notified about the state of your tuition assistance request.